This web site is not an affiliate, intermediary or representative of the Government of Canada. We do not sell/charge or provide any immigration or government forms which are available free on CIC website. We are paid legal representatives for all immigration matters. The legal advise (depends upon case by case), which we provide, is not available by CIC office or its website. Our Legal advise can make your immigration case stronger with our experience and knowledge in IRPA and IRPR Regulations.

Live-in Caregiver Work Permit

The Live-In Caregiver Program (LCP) is offered and administered by the government of Canada and the primary means by which foreign caregivers come to Canada as eldercare, special needs, and childcare providers.

The two new pathways of LCP Program are:

  • Caring for Children
  • Caring for People with High Medical Needs

Caregivers who come to Canada through the program are eligible to apply for PR status after working a minimum of two years or by completing 3,900 hours within four years of their arrival. For many who would not otherwise qualify for PR status under any other category, this stands as one of the motivations for participation. You can complete these 3900 hours in minimum 22 months time frame with 4 years. When calculation your houses, you can also include up to 390 hours of overtime.

Standard qualifications are regulated federally, though conditions of employment are determined at a provincial level.

Requirements include a minimum of 6 months of training OR 1 year of compatible employment within the last 3 years - though various exceptions and additional stipulations do apply.

General Requirement

Applicants under the LCP must have completed at least:

Six months of full-time training in a classroom setting in a field or occupation related to the employment for which the work permit is sought;


One year of full-time paid employment, including at least six months of continuous employment with one employer, in such a field or occupation within the three years immediately before the day on which they submit an application for a work permit.


Applicants under the LCP must have successfully completed a course of study that is equivalent to the successful completion of Canadian secondary school or High School (12th Grade Standard)

Training requirement

Full-time caregiver training must be taken for a continuous period of at least six months. The six-months of full-time training must be successfully completed prior to the date that the applicant applies for a work permit under the LCP.

If you are in other health care field, training must be in a field or occupation related to the employment sought. For example, prospective live-in caregivers may have training in early childhood education, geriatric care, paediatric or geriatric nursing.

Note: If you are a nurse you do not need to have the 6 months diploma in Caregiver Training.

Correspondence courses and part-time studies, such as training taken on weekends, do not meet the full-time training requirement.

Language requirement

Applicants under the LCP must have a level of fluency in English OR French that enables them to communicate effectively and independently in an unsupervised setting. For example, they should be able to:

  • respond to emergency situations by contacting a doctor, ambulance, police or fire department;
  • read the labels on medication;
  • answer the telephone and the door; and
  • communicate with others outside the home, such as schools, stores or other institutions.

We recommend applicants to take IELTS (General) Test and obtain 5.5.band (overall) to satisfy visa officer that caregiver meets the language requirements.

Work experience requirement

Work experience must be in a field or occupation related to the employment sought. For example, prospective live-in caregivers may have experience in early childhood education, geriatric care, paediatric or geriatric nursing. Caregiving experience in an institutional setting (day care, crèche, hospital, senior citizens’ home, etc.) should be considered in assessing whether the applicant meets the experience requirement.

Note: Experience as a midwife or hospital technician is not acceptable as they do not have caregiving experience related to children, the elderly or people with disabilities.

Caregiving experience in the applicant’s own home would not normally qualify someone for the LCP, as the applicant would not have been in a paid employment situation. However, there may be legitimate situations where the applicant was employed as a live-in caregiver by a relative. Applicants are responsible for satisfying the officer that they were actually paid for the work performed and that their experience was an employment related one.

To claim work experience, prospective live-in caregivers must demonstrate that they have completed at least one year of full-time paid employment related to the job duties of a caregiver. This work experience must have occurred within the three years immediately preceding the date that the application for a work permit under the LCP is submitted. This work experience must include at least six months of continuous employment with the same employer.

Durationof LCP work permit

The general policy is for visa officers to issue initial LCP work permits with a validity of up to four years plus three months provided the LMIA is approved for the same duration by HRSDC/Service Canada. This general policy serves to help minimize subsequent in-Canada applications for work permit extensions.

The four-year period corresponds to the amount of time allotted to a live-in caregiver to complete the employment requirement of the LCP in order to be eligible to apply for permanent residence. The additional three months allow for a transition period to apply for permanent residence under the LCP.

Family members who wish to accompany a live-in caregiver on a LCP work permit

Live-in caregivers who wish to bring their family member(s) with them while they are on a work permit under the LCP will not be permitted to do so unless they satisfy an officer that they have sufficient funds to care for and support the family member(s) in Canada, the family member(s) are not otherwise inadmissible and they have permission to live in the home of the person(s) for whom they are to provide care.

Family members do not normally accompany live-in caregivers who are coming to Canada on a LCP work permit. Even when an employer agrees that a family member may reside with the caregiver in the residence of the persons for whom they are providing care, there are no guarantees that any subsequent employer would agree to the same terms. Furthermore, the income of the caregiver may not be sufficient to care for and support their family member(s) in Canada.

Family members of live-in caregivers who have applied for permanent residence

Live-in caregivers who enter Canada under the LCP are eligible to apply for permanent residence after they have worked full-time asa live-in caregiver for at least 24 months or a total of 3,900 hours in a minimum of 22 months within the four years immediately following their entry into Canada under the LCP.

All family members of live-in caregivers who have applied for permanent residence must be declared and included in the live-in caregiver’s application for permanent residence. All family members, whether accompanying the principal applicant or not, are required to be examined. All eligible family members must undergo and pass medical, criminal and security checks. Live-in caregivers become permanent residents if any of their eligible family members are inadmissible.

Officers will not issue a permanent resident visa to separated spouses or children in the custody of someone else, even if they are examined, as they are non-accompanying.

Validity of Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

In most cases, employers who wish to hire temporary foreign workers must first apply to Service Canada for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The opinion assesses the impact the foreign worker would have on Canada’s labour market or, in other words, how the offer of employment would likely affect Canadian jobs.

An employer needs a positive Labour Market Opinion to hire a temporary foreign worker. The foreign worker needs a copy of the positive Labour Market Impact Assessment in order to apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for a work permit.

All LMIAs issued by HRSDC/Service Canada to employers will be valid for the purpose of work permit applications for a maximum of 6 months from the date of issuance. A LMIA that is not submitted to CIC to support a work permit application within this 6 month period will be deemed to have expired. The employer will be required to apply for a new LMIA if they still wish to hire a live in caregiver under the LCP.

Service Links Canada offices in Thailand and Canada help our clients to obtain the LMIA from their Canadian Employers and submit work permit application at CIC visa office overseas.

Minimum Wage of LCP

Currently the minimum wage is $10.45 per hour (From September 2016 is $10.85 per hour) in British Columbia, Canada. Employers must provide live-in caregivers with suitable private, furnished accommodation in the employer's home.

Contact us and our office will assess your eligibility to work as Live-in Caregiver or Immigrate as a LCP Class Immigrant.

You can apply online to check your assessment for eligibility of your LCP Work Permit. Please apply online Live-in Caregiver Assessment Form


Download the PDF form - LCPWork Permit Assessment form. - Please fill it up and send back by scan email attention to: Immigration at info@servicelinks.ca


Fax at our office in Thailand: +66 2 656 1544 OR Fax at our office in Canada: +1 604-944-7913